Appalachian Craft Center was established in 1980 to provide the folk potters of North Carolina a retail outlet in Western North Carolina, thereby helping to encourage these potters to continue their craft.
We still do that, but we are now so much more. Since opening, Appalachian Crafts has expanded, at the same location, from the original 600 square foot store, to our current 2,000 square feet of hand-crafted treasures.
In addition, we operate the gift shop, Appalachian Crafts Too, at the Renaissance Asheville Hotel. The “gift shop” carries some of the same fine hand-made crafts, along with other hotel necessities.
Our stores offer products created by over 150 craftspeople from North Carolina and the Southern Appalachians. In addition to pottery, we offer
• Heirloom quality, hand-made quilts
• Beautiful, useful, items made of wood
• Glass from the famous Blenko Glass Company of West Virginia
• Books by local authors and other books of local interest
• Postcards and note cards
• Jams, jellies, conserves, Sourwood honey, when available, and apple butter
• Locally made jewelry